FAQ: What Do I Need To Let My Dj Know?
- 1 What every DJ should know?
- 2 What does your wedding DJ need to know?
- 3 What should you never ask a DJ?
- 4 Do DJs need permission to play songs?
- 5 How much do DJs get paid?
- 6 Where do DJs get their music?
- 7 How long does a DJ play at a wedding?
- 8 How much do you tip wedding DJ?
- 9 Can we have a DJ at your wedding?
- 10 What questions do you ask a DJ?
- 11 How do you reach out to DJ?
- 12 How do I write a DJ contract?
- 13 Is it illegal to DJ with downloaded music?
- 14 Can DJs play any music?
- 15 Are DJ mixes illegal?
What every DJ should know?
Ten Things Every New DJ Should Learn
- Scratch Basics.
- Different-Genre Mixing.
- Different Event Types.
- Vinyl Mixing.
- Multi-Deck Mixing.
- Live Performance.
- Planning Ahead In Sets.
What does your wedding DJ need to know?
Here are five things you should tell your wedding DJ to get the party popping and keep it going strong.
- How to Pronounce Names.
- To MC or to Not MC.
- When to Play What and for How Long.
- The Context for Song Requests.
- Your “Do Not Play” List.
What should you never ask a DJ?
7 Questions to never ask a DJ
- Do you take requests? OF COURSE!
- You’ve never heard of Artist XYZ? Sorry, no.
- Can you play the song that goes like…? Which one?
- Anything not related to advancing the party.
- Can I pretend to DJ?
- Can you play something danceable?
- What should I ask you?
Do DJs need permission to play songs?
In most cases, no. DJ’s do not need any permission or licenses to play songs legally, since the club/restaurant/bar where the gig takes place are responsible for it. Also- if playing at a private event, such as a wedding, licenses are not required at all.
How much do DJs get paid?
As reported by the bureau of labor statistics, “DJs earn an average of $31,990 annually.” The top 10% earned up to $72,500 annually, while the lowest 10% earned up to $16,590. Club DJs and wedding DJs would probably earn more figures than the average annual wages, according to BLS.
Where do DJs get their music?
iTunes is the biggest and for DJs we have Beatport.com. Beatport is one of the most popular digital download services for DJs to buy and download tracks. Others include Juno, Bandcamp and Apple Music (Formerly iTunes). Bandcamp is the best online retailer of music to support because they support the artist.
How long does a DJ play at a wedding?
Obviously the amount of time for the DJing will be dependent on how coverage you’ve paid for. The normal, optimal length for a wedding reception is 4 hours (this includes the dinner portion). When you add in cocktail hour and the ceremony, there would be another 2 hours of music.
How much do you tip wedding DJ?
Musicians should be tipped about $20 to $25 apiece; DJs get at least $25. Many bands offer a vocalist for the ceremony at an additional cost. Tip them the same amount as you would one of the other musicians. Hand out the tips in cash at the end of the night.
Can we have a DJ at your wedding?
Wedding DJs are experts are getting everyone on the dancefloor and keeping both you and your guests entertained all night. There are plenty of wedding DJs available meaning that you’ll have no trouble finding one for your reception. Wedding DJs are one of the cheapest wedding event service providers.
What questions do you ask a DJ?
35 important questions to ask a wedding DJ
- Is the DJ available on the date you need them?
- How long have they been in business?
- How many events/weddings have they provided music for per year?
- Are weddings their main events or do they play at other events or clubs?
- Do they have another event the same day or weekend?
How do you reach out to DJ?
How To Get DJs To Play Your Music In 5 Easy Steps
- Send a personalized email. DJs receive plenty of emails on a daily basis.
- Send in tracks that fit well with the DJs’ style.
- Provide a brief introduction about yourself and the track.
- Upload the track online and attach a URL in the email.
- Follow up with the DJs.
How do I write a DJ contract?
How to Write
- 1 – Access This Template To Set Up And Issue A DJ Service Contract.
- 2 – Clearly Identify Each Party Signing This Agreement.
- 3 – Discuss The Specifics Of The Event And Expected Payment.
- 4 – Some Necessary Legal Issues Must Be Reviewed, Determined, And Documented.
Is it illegal to DJ with downloaded music?
While you can indeed stream stuff from YouTube for free, downloading music from there is illegal, and YouTube forbids public performance of music from its site – same as Spotify, Apple Music etc. But paid or not, charity event or commercial festival, big or small venue… you have to pay for your DJ music.
Can DJs play any music?
When the venue has the public-performance license, it means that DJs can play recorded music registered with the PRO, KJs are able to perform, background music is allowed, and bands can cover songs. Their license authorizes the radio station to play music into public airwaves.
Are DJ mixes illegal?
playing your own music (or official remixes you made) is absolutely fine, because 99% of the time, you own the rights to your own music, unless you gave a label exclusive rights to it. playing other people’s tracks requires royalties to be paid to those artists.